I capped off the year with a couple laps around Green Lake and laughing with FN, stopped by the café that brews my favorite Americano, held my last solo dance party around the house while cleaning, walked another couple miles to burn some energy and get groceries and now I'm watching The West Wing and getting ready to head out for the evening. Nothing says "get pumped" like political witty banter drama television show while the curling iron heats up and the eyeliner dries. So I thought I'd take some time in between all that to write my last post for the 2013.
A lot happens in this singular thing we call "a year". This year has been incredible. Really truly a transformational year that exceeded all my hopes and expectations. Don't get me wrong….it wasn't without it's hard lessons learned, challenges, lows, loss, and heartbreak, but on a whole, 2013 will go down in the record books as the best year of my life to date.
Here's my Top 10 Recap of 2013 that added up to a truly amazing year.
- Over the course of 4 summer nights in Rome, I believed in love again. And while I was believing in it I actually fell into it. It changed me to my core. Beauty, strength, vulnerability, passion, and romance.
- I spent a lot of time with my sister and nephew, which was really wonderful. Crazy, but wonderful.
- I made really great new friends and let go of the toxic and unhealthy ones. Good people
- I traveled a lot. Seeing the world is the most invigorating exercise for me. I never feel more alive than when I'm immersed in another culture.
- I made a home that makes me feel safe, happy, at peace, and rejuvenated.
- I rode motorcycles. There isn't a more cathartic experience.
- I smoked my first joint. Full stop.
- I had a lot of professional milestones which is hugely satisfying after years of working hard and pushing myself.
- I was in the best physical shape of my life. Kicked off the year with a half-marathon and kept going. I've slipped a little these last few months, but I'm back on a training schedule for a March 2014 half in San Diego with the bestie.
- I had a lot of really great fun. Real fun. Real let my hair down, bellyache face hurting knee slapping laughing, finding myself smiling while walking for no reason, making out, eating amazing food, drinking incredible drinks, reading great books, pampering, shopping, conversing, and more kind of fun.
I am very excited for next year. I hope to keep the good mojo momentum going forward in. More fun, more love, more laughs, more goodness all around. And less of that crummy stuff.
Here's what I'm thinking for 2014
- Do hard things
- Be less afraid
- Write more
- See more world
- Keep getting my shit together
- Wear pants more (Just kidding. I hate pants. That's not changing.)
I think New Year's should be more of a celebration of independence. A different kind of independence day if you will. A letting go of things old and the past, and claiming the present and future. Freeing yourself from what holds you down or back. Let's be free from those things. Be free from negativity and self-doubt. Yes, I like that very much.
So happy Independence Day! Baci!